Scott and The Golden Gate

Scott and The Golden Gate

Monday, March 4, 2013

70 Miles and a New Attitude

We're coming to a close on our first week in Mexico and I've begun to notice little differences in the attitudes of Mexicans in this area and the fast paced life lived up in the United States. It's just little things and I don't mean the whole "Manana" lifestyle. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any of that since we arrived. My experiences so far have been of a hard working friendly people. They go out of their way to make us comfortable and welcome, but what I most see is a trust I no longer see in the United States. I didn't realize it until coming here. Our first experience with it is when trying to pay for something. Example: our first day here and we filled out our paperwork for the marina. In the US you pay in advance, after they have checked your insurance, credit, etc. Here when I asked if he needed a card or payment in advance his response was bewilderment. Why would we want to pay in advance, he doesn't even know our bill yet. OK, I let that one slide, but it was my first culture shock. Another example is when I went to do laundry. American coin laundry you put your coins in and go from there. Another form of paying in advance, but here the attendant puts a token in and keeps track of everything for you and you pay on the way out. It's all about trust. It's the first of what I'm sure will be many cultural differences, but I have to it's refreshing to be trusted by a stranger. I'm hoping this isn't just an Ensenada thing but something we find through Mexico.

Fair Winds My Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Mexicans feel it's being too pushy to just give you the bill for your meals - you have to ASK for the bill! Nice to see you're on your way (finally) - it gets even better the further you get away from the border. (Windfall now has nearly 7,500 miles under her keel since leaving Portland!) Don't for get to trade and barter for better prices - Don't just pay the "Gringo Prices"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to change that pic of Scott in SF on the Blog...YOU'RE NOW IN MEXICO SENOR!

    ReplyDelete