Scott and The Golden Gate

Scott and The Golden Gate

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Armchair Admirals

For those of you who've never heard the expression, it refers to someone who has plenty of advice, but none of the experience in cruising or boating in general. We've come across any number of "Armchair Admirals" in the 9 years this idea of cruising has been formulating. We discovered that while many of our friends are genuine in their concerns for us, many other are simply jealous. I know that sounds harsh, but hey why wouldn't they be? I'm not an egotistical person, but I do live on a boat in Mexico, I've thrown caution to the wind, and I'm doing something out of the norm on my own terms. Not everyone has the ability to break out and do something adventurous. I know that without Scott I'd never be out here. It's always much easier to stay home and go to work and follow a routine than to redevelop oneself almost everyday.

So back to our "Armchair Admirals". It starts with our friends who know nothing about boating and warned us of our foolish idea to go cruising. We'd be dead, or pirates would get us, or how dangerous Mexico is, or insert any other excuse our friends used to keep us from taking off.  Then there are the boaters who never go anywhere. They give one hundred and one reasons why we can't go or why we aren't ready to go. I'd like to think it's simply they'd miss our company, but I know it's a little more complicated than that. Some of them will take off a year or two after us and it's simply easier to sit around and dream in company than watch friends take off on that adventure while one sits back and continues to dream and waits for the day when they will join in on the fun and action. There are also those who like to give advice about how we aren't ready, because they've been out there and they know what it takes. These guys are the worst. They do have the knowledge and the experience, but every experience is not the same. Times change and La Paz 17 years ago is not La Paz today. One set of friends told me not to rely on cruising guides for store locations because they change so quickly, so why rely on advice  from someone who hasn't been to a place in over a decade? Inside this group there is a sub-set who deep down inside would have to realize that more boats being "out there" cuts down on how special the experience was for them. Suddenly they aren't that special and it can be deflating to an ego. It actually couldn't be farther from the truth. Every journey is unique and special. For every person who takes it on only adds to the richness of this adventure. That's another boat full of interesting people that I hope to meet.

I don't know how long this lifestyle with exist for us, but I'm glad I did it and I'm glad that I've got a partner standing next to me who does it with me. I'm also glad that whenever an "Admiral" gave us advice we simply smiled to each other and kept on going. There's a million reasons not to be out here, but they don't come anywhere near the reasons to be here for us.

Fair Winds My Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Rising glass for a toast! Well said. Don't leave that dock,it's deep "out there." Best they stay on the dock with their premixed bottled drinks and watch the sunsets from there...its' MUCH safer! These are the same people shacking their head and saying you'll NEVER make it...that is, while you sail off into that sunset looking back and laughing out loud. Enjoy and appreciate your sailing life and adventure...and be sure to send LOTS of pictures to them (they always like that!)

    ReplyDelete