Scott and The Golden Gate

Scott and The Golden Gate

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Our War with the Sea Lions

Two days ago our new "neighbors" decided to make it a war of aggression against us. They tried to sink our dink around 6 am. I actually happened to be up and was out the companion way before they had a chance to take our faithful Komen to Davey's Locker. They'd been particularly boisterous that night, having a fight around 3 am that kept me up. We'd had enough, and I apologize to anyone around Newport Harbor who happened to hear our air horn going off at around 6:30 am on Tuesday. It didn't take long for them to realize it was all noise and really wasn't of any importance. They resumed ownership of the abandoned pontoon boat. Yesterday, after two sleepless nights, Scott and I decided to see what options we had to rid ourselves of the invaders. By the way, as of yesterday morning we were up to 6 new neighbors and they were not contented with just staying on the pontoon. They were now inhabiting at least 3 boats total and trying for a fourth. We looked at slingshots but were afraid we'd be arrested. We opted for a water canon that sprays up to 45 feet. It seems to annoy them a bit, but not as much as the water canon from the Harbor Patrol's boat. Around 4:30 yesterday afternoon they were up to 8 and the end of the pontoon was submerged in the water. I phoned the Harbor Patrol and they came out quickly. They scattered and we had a nice chat with the Patrol. It turns out that the Fish and Game Department says the only legal thing to shoot the Sea Lions with would be Nerf pellets. They are soft and will only annoy the animals without causing any damage. The Environmental Protection Agency say "No Way!" They are plastic and other creatures might ingest them. I have seen a number of boats with boards that have nails driven through them. My dislike of these creatures hasn't made it that far yet, and I find that so cruel. As much as I want them gone, my heart breaks each time I see one with a cut from the prop of a boat across it's back. I also soften my reserve when the mother and her pup also dive in for a cool off and a play, then at 3 am I'm strengthened again by my reserve to have a good nights sleep. There is also the stench. We've been lucky enough to be up wind of them so far! As of this morning there are only four, and they weren't as loud, but we will continue to annoy them until the Harbor Patrol removes the pontoon to where it originally came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment